Actor Michael K. Williams who gained fame from roles on The Wire and Boardwalk Empire, died of an apparent accidental overdose. His body was found in his Brooklyn apartment building Monday. The news shocked much of the art world and his former colleagues in Hollywood. There was drug paraphernalia was found in the apartment. Initial police reports suggested the actor may have overdosed on heroin or fentanyl:
“The Wire’’ actor Michael K. Williams was found dead of a suspected drug overdose in his Brooklyn penthouse Monday afternoon, law-enforcement sources told The Post.
Drug paraphernalia was found in the five-time Emmy nominee’s apartment, suggesting the acclaimed 54-year-old actor may have fatally OD’d, possibly from heroin or fentanyl, sources said.
“No foul play indicated,” a police source said. “No forced entry, the apartment was in order.”
Williams was found dead by his nephew in the living room of his Kent Avenue pad in the luxury Williamsburg high-rise, sources said.
Fentanyl is one of the strongest opioids on the market and has been used to treat critically care cancer patients after other opioids were not deemed strong enough. It is known to be several times more powerful than morphine. According to The Daily Mail, Williams was found dead by a concerned relative who had not heard from the actor in a few days. Though foul play was initially ruled out, TMZ is reporting that the police are searching for the person who supplied Williams with the drugs.
Williams was likely one of the most critically acclaimed actors of the past two decades, and I hope that is how he will be remembered. We remain shocked an saddened by the news and will miss his television appearances and his roles on the big screen.